Re: [OM] Price heckling...

Subject: Re: [OM] Price heckling...
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 13:51:39 -0700
Prices which may seem high by U.S. standards are actually pretty
reasonable-sounding in much of the rest of the world.  Here in Canada, the
Olympus OM line was never well-publicized, and due to high local prices, it
was always a case of "great camera -- awful price."  The used market
follows this trend.

You have to remember your comparisons: California, for example, has eight
million more people than all of Canada (37 million vs. 29 million,
approx.).  With such a large catchment area for a regional market, prices
for Oly equipment may be "depressed" there, but to my Canadian ears, many
of the offers going across this list are virtual steals, almost regardless
of their asking price.  With the extremely rare exception (a flawless 28mm
f/2.0 MC Zuiko I picked up about three months ago for $229.00 CDN [about
$160 US], for example), Oly prices for anything but the standard "OM-2n
w/1.8" are high where I live, and unusual lenses (macros, extreme wide
angles and telephotos) are vanishingly rare.

Let people advertise prices as they will.  If they're priced out of line,
they won't get a nibble anywhere.  Otherwise, regional differences are
nothing more than an opportunity for honest arbitrage: both the buyer and
the seller benefit.  For many people, the Internet has opened their eyes --
I can actually *find* some stuff that I'd never seen where I live!

Now if only someone could sell me a good used 1.4X Oly teleconverter to go
with my used 300mm f/4.5 Zuiko...

Garth Wood