Re: [OM] Price heckling...

Subject: Re: [OM] Price heckling...
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 14:50:49 EST
Hi Lee:

I noticed the hecking immediately and thought it showed immaturity on the part
of the poster.  I'm glad you brought up the subject.  I have experience buying
that very well designed Vivitar Series 1 and could have had comments, too.
But I wasn't asked - although I'll offer that it is a US origin design for the
space program that was built and marketed by Vivitar.  A real groundbreaking
design that has withstood the test of time and is still sold.  I've got one in
a Canon mount and think highly of it.

My gal is the grand master of bargain shopping and she taught me a rule for
getting along with vendors: Don't belittle their prices!  In another words,
don't come off smarter than them or you'll find they give you poor or no
service next time you visit.  It is an etiquette thing that even applies to
clerks in pawn shops.  The flip side is when they start asking your opinion
because you APPEAR to know something.  That is tough since you don't want to
be responsible for increasing the future prices of items you want to buy.  I
generally help them with pricing non-OLY and Canon stuff IF they can offer me
something in return, like calling me when new stock comes in.  If I've
developed a report, I'll freely offer info on ways to identify stock that is
worth LESS than what they might otherwise think.  That benefits us both!

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV