Re: [OM] 81 Series Filters

Subject: Re: [OM] 81 Series Filters
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 23:09:05 EST
Hi John:

There is lots about this in filter books.  The most helpful material might be
the nomographs that tell you the filter you need based on your type film and
the type of light source.

I distilled down the nomographs (and conflicting text recommendations) into a
handy dandy pocket cheat sheet.  I don't think I'd bother with a 81 anymore.
It seems to offer correction so slight it is in the range of variation between
color transparency emulsions (like in S vs. SW films).  It gives about a 300
deg. Kelvin warming.

For what it is worth, here is where it is recommended for conditions requiring
the 81:
*Average daylight with some clouds, not noon time (noon time needs no
filtering if there are some clouds)
*Hazy daylight
*5,800 deg. K electronic flash

For the 81A:
*Sunlight with clear blue sky
*Heavy overcast

For the 81B:
*Light to moderate overcast

For the 81EF:
*Hazy sunlight

For extreme (skylight) corrections:
Two 81EF's or the 85: shade lit by skylight only, with thin white clouds
An 81C and a 81EF or the 85C: shade lit by skylight only, with cloudless blue
sky

Remember that only color transparency materials have to have color temperature
correction to look natural.  Color negs are filtered for correction at the
time of printing.

If you are a perfectionist about color temperature, then the coveted sunrise
and sunset shots need filtering too.  In this case an 82 cooling filter.

The 81B is probably the first one to get if you want to start slow.  It'll add
punch to sky conditions that keep some photogs with their cameras in the bag.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV