Re: [OM] Battery Question, Again (Was: OM4 Question)

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery Question, Again (Was: OM4 Question)
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:15:51 +0100
Dan,

following a table I compiled from Duracell sources and posted some times
ago:

In the Duracell pamphlet I found further information about size
compatible silver oxid button cells, which might be of interest for the
FAQ and recent discusion:

Duracell
Product                                                         IEC
ANSI
Number          Drain mA        Capacity mAh    Load Ohms       Type
Type

D301/386        0.10            120             15,000          SR43
1133S0
D303/357        1.50            165              1,000          SR44
1131S0
D381/391        0.10             40             15,000          SR55
1160S0
D389/390        0.11             70             13,000          SR54
1138S0
MS76            1.00            180              1,500          SR44
1184S0

For all types:
Nominal Voltage 1.55V, Rated Voltage Cutoff 1.2

Source: Duracel PDF files Date 2/97

To me it seems, that there are only two relevant cell typs: The MS76 and
D303/357.
The D303/357 has a smaller capacity and higher internal drain caused by
smaller internal resistance. The smaller internal resistance might help
to supply the OM more easyly with current, so in case a OM-2SP needs
much amps the voltage might not drop to much. This migth help to operate
sensible OM bodys, like the OM-2SP should be, more reliable.
But you have to change the batteries more often, because of the higher
drain and lower capacity of the cells.

The MS76 will live longer and let your OM body eat less batteries,
because of lower drain and higher capacity.

Richard

KFrohling replied:

> Richard Schtzl wrote:
>
> [major  snip]
>
> >The MS76 will live longer and let your OM body eat less batteries,
> >because of lower drain and higher capacity.
>
> [another major snip]
>
> Yikes!  This is contrary to my experience.  My OM-2 was extremely
> unreliable for most of the last decade *because* I was using MS76
> batteries.  Since I switched to 357's, no problems.  (this after
> several attempts at servicing and  an overhaul)  I was about to
> give up on the old Oly until I saw Lee Hawkins FAQ and John's
> Camtech web page, and discovered the really problem!
>
> Unless you have no other option, use 357 silver oxides!  The lower
> internal resistance makes it possible for the camera to draw about
> 50% more current without causing the voltage droop that can lockup
> your camera.  Well worth the lower capacity, IMHO.

snip..