Re: [OM] Eagles - Oh no! Not again!

Subject: Re: [OM] Eagles - Oh no! Not again!
From: "Ulf Westerberg" <ulf.westerberg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:09:56 +0100

Richard Schätzl wrote:

>Eagle-eyed Ulf Westerberg wrote:
>

>> PS. Well, good eagle-shots are possible here as well, but not without a
dead
>> cow (now banned, thank you european market!) and a hide/blind.
>
>What has the EC to do with dead cows (exept UK) for eagle shooting?

For the last 20 years birders here have feeded eagles with animal carcasses,
animals that may not have made it to our dinner plates for various reasons.
All that was needed was of course the landowners approval. This has saved
the sea eagles from eradication (DDT almost wiped out the population) and
survival for the younger specimens has greatly increased.
Now, according to new laws from Brussels, every dead animal has to be
inspected by a vet and meet some sort of approval. This is a tedious and
costly procedure and in reality it means that all these animals are burned
and buried.
There has been absolutely no problems with this feeding over all these
years. When bureucrats meet, wildlife suffers.
It was actually common practice some years to dump animal carcasses in the
fields in parts of Scania. The red kites quickly found out about this and
changed their migratory patterns, staying in the cold climate instead of
migrating. We now have one of the worlds strongest populations of red kites,
from being nearly extinct, we have even exported to Scotland (where it
really was extinct). So if one of you ever see a Scottish red kite, rest
assure it has a Scanian heritage.
All because of dead cows.

Ulf Westerberg