Re: [OM] Stolen equipment - wah!

Subject: Re: [OM] Stolen equipment - wah!
From: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:05:15 -0600
>My sympathies! I've been led to believe that, unlike 'Sodom on the
>Potomac' or 'Gomora on the Pacific', small Midwestern towns like
>Quincy, IL were these safe havens, paragons of virtue and morality,
>where doors were never locked, crime was nonexistent, and all the
>brides were virgins at the altar.

Crime does exist in "flyover" country.  The big problem here in the
upper-midwest is that we aren't all gun-toting cowboys.  Had I had an NRA
sticker on the door, and a great big growling dog chomping at the thiefs
neck-ripping the thieves' heads off, this wouldn't have happened.  (Gosh,
Ken, how do you really feel about it?)

Anyway, the big difference here in the midwest is that we generally (with a
few exceptions) don't live in constant fear and awareness of the crime
around us.  For example we don't have to worry about car-jackings, being
mugged at a stoplight, bullets on the freeway, etc.  Nor do we have bars on
all of our windows.  Granted, there are neighborhoods that reek of crime,
but you can be pretty much assured that your stereo will still be in the
car the next morning.

That said, I do sleep better now with the alarm system working.

Ken Norton