Re: [OM] Tally of OM Preference Votes

Subject: Re: [OM] Tally of OM Preference Votes
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 23:06:04 +0100
Tomoko Yamamoto wrote:

> [...]
>
> 2.Would you like to have an autofocusing OM-x? (Be very honest.  You don't
> need to be realistic here.)
> Flat yes or no answers:  14 said yes and 44 said no.
> In addition: Yes  5 if Contax-type autofocusing mechanism
>                          6 if as long as a new AF body accepts manual OM
> Zuiko lenses
>                          2 if no or minimal size increase
>      12 for focus assist (1 digital focus assist)
>
> 3. Would you be willing to have a somewhat larger OM body so that several
> new features may be accommodated?
>
> Flat yes (11) and no (39)
>
> 12 for a little (marginal, not much)
> 5  for 100r more
> 5  for less than 10%
> 4  as long as full compatibility is maintained
> 1  probably
> 1  film back
> 1 if AF
> 1 if Contax-like
> 1 each digital back and film back
> 1 if within grip size
> 1 if winder included size
>
> 4. What is the single most important feature of the OM body that you would
> like to see retained? Please narrow your preferences down to the single
> feature.  I will not count those votes with two items here.
>
> Of those (80) who listed a single feature:
>
> 22 listed system compatibilities
>   9 listed lens compatibilities
>
>   7 listed size
>   4 compactness
>
>   5 listed multiple spot metering
>   1 listed spot metering
>   8 listed metering system (generic, center-weighted and spot
> manual,OM-3/4, OM-4, spot & long exposure, long exposure, long shutter
> speeds (auto), highlight/shadow+multispot)
>   3 listed OTF exposure control
>
>   2 mirror lock-up
>   2 all-mechanical operation w/o battery
>   2 mechanical  (sturdiness, mechanical quality)
>   2 shutter speed dial
>
>   1 near-life size viewfinder with adjustable diopter
>   1 viewfinder presentation (ergonomics)
>   1 OM-2N viewfinder picture
>
>   1 no need to turn on
>
>   2 control layout
>   4 general design (OM system concept, highly integrated system, OM design
> philosophy, feel)
>
> 6 people listed two features
>  system compatibilities+control layout
>  lens compatibility+attachment compatibility
>  simplicity+compactness
>  spot metering+system compatibility
>  multiple spot metering+program
>  size+lens compatibility
>
> 1 for nothing to be retained
> 1 for several features
>
> Hopefully I accounted for everything in the last question.  If any of you
> has not replied my clarification question, please do it quickly.
>
> Rather than trying to make a summary, I would like EVERYONE to think what
> conclusions he/she should make out of this survey-votes.
>
> Tomoko Yamamoto
> Photographer, Composer, Soprano
> mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
> http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
> -All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-

Patience please, Tomoko. The Earth only revolves so fast and I for one
only gets to read the list in the evening european time (granted, if I had
made an effort, like you, I would be impatient too.)

I think one conclusion from your tally would be that we OM users, taken
as a group, generally are quite happy with the basic characteristics of
the system (compactness, manual focus). Or we are plain conservative.

To me the responses to the models in the price ranges indicate that if
Olympus want to sell the OM system to a wide market, they will need models
in (at least) two price ranges.

The wish for compatibility is natural in this forum, as most of the
participants (all?) in the tally probably have some investment in
current OM gear.

>From the general discussions on the list I gather that many of us are very
enthustiastic photographers, who want full control of the final result.
This calls for manual control, so if you make a bummer, it's not due to
some automatic system being misinterpreting the situation. These people
probably mostly use automatics for flash control. Or for instance to keep
the shutter speed as fast as possible with long focal lengths (I do).

Finally I must say that the result of the tally is quite mixed, which to
me indicates that we are a very mixed lot. Not much of a surprise, but maybe
hard to plan a future OM body from.

Time to stop, it's getting late...

Regards
Lars

--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"