Re: [OM] Commercial Advertising

Subject: Re: [OM] Commercial Advertising
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Feb 1998 15:20:08 +1000
Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> Regarding advertising of any items for sale either by individuals or
> dealears on this list, I think it would be better most of transactions take
> place off the list.

I think the same rule here applies as for any mail message:

"If your response is of interest to the group, send it to the
        list.  If not send private email."

For example: A response along the lines of "Yes, you can get a
replacement for your <broken whatever>, I happen to sell them", is of
general interest, while "I've got one of those, it's yours for $150" is
not.

> I am wondering how many of you use such e-mail software and whether
> everyone using such software is aware that such a neat trick exists.  If
> everyone with a Web site uses that type of signature, dealears on the list
> can encourage people to visit their sites without any explicit words of
> solicitation in the text of their e-mails.

I don't use Eudora (I'm a UNIX nerd), but my software (Emacs)
understands URLS for mailto and http.

<peeve>
(BTW, Windows users, don't make the mistake of thinking Eudora
and Netscape are cutting edge software; these programs are in many
ways LESS sophisticated than some "dinosaur" programs; after all, the
Internet was around for a long time before Bill Gates noticed it!).
</peeve>

It annoys me very much when people  post URLs without the schema-part
(http: or mailto:) as that does indeed defeat auto-highlighting.

Chris.

--
 Christopher J Biggs \ chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx \ Vice-Pope torture and marketing
 Stallion Technologies\ Brisbane,  Australia \   Holy Church of Givashitology

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx