Re: [OM] Collar for 2X + 200mm

Subject: Re: [OM] Collar for 2X + 200mm
From: Richard Schätzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 18:32:17 +0100
Andre Goforth wrote:

> Olympiads,
>
> I have found that the 2X converter and the 200mm lens is a bit awkward when
> the camera is mounted on a tripod.  I have to really crank down on the
> tripod and head screws else I  get creep. When I try to use a Minolta
> panorama head  it sags a bit to much for comfort.  And if I try to make
> changes in the position of the camera vertically then it is a real nuisance.
>
> What solutions do any of you, fellow Olympiads, use for this setup?  I went
> to a large, "professional" camera store and was told that there aren't any
> generic lens collars on the market!  I saw in Bogen's catalog that they
> make a telephoto support/harness but I haven't seen one in a store. Does it
> require a lens collar that is built in to the lens to attach to?
>
> I haven't see anything in Porter's catalog.
>
> Does/Did Olympus make anything along these lines?

Hello Andre,

I have the same problem. I didn´t found a tripod head which able to
suport this combination precise enough.
I´ve the Manfroto catalog (Bogen in USA) which states that this
suporting collar/harness is especialy made for long telephotos without
tripod collar.
This constrution looks bulky and complicated to handle, on the photo.
This would  diminish the advantages of this lens converter combination,
to be small ligthweight and easy to handel.

I use a bean bag (not filled with beans) for photos with the converter,
which is less complicated, smaller and much cheaper.

The best would be a dedicate tripod collar for the converter (replacing
the rubber ring).

Richard

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx