[OM] General Observations

Subject: [OM] General Observations
From: "A J Royle" <jroyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 20:55:01 -0000
Cc: "Arthur John Royle" <jroyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Folks,

I subscribed just a few days ago and would like to pass a few comments about
recent correspondence.

OM2SP - I owned one for 12 months and got completely fed up with it chewing up
batteries, especially with a flash on the hot-shoe. A phone call to Olympus in
London confirmed that switching off the electronics altogether (B-60) or
removing batteries was the only answer, but they admitted that working with
flash can down a set of batteries in an hour ( compared to OM1s and 2s,was this
progress?)

I had owned an OM1N since 1979ish (when they first reached our shores) and was
completely delighted with it, as I was at first with the OM10 I bought as a
second camera when that model was first released. The OM10 let me down in the
end with another well documented Olympus fault, sticky shutter magnets. The
OM2SP was a replacement for the OM10, and what a mistake! After a couple of
years and many battteries the OM2SP was replaced with not one but two examples
of its greatly superior predecessor, the OM2N. What a machine! Compact, light,
wonderful metering (photgraphing the streets of Dublin through my hotel room
window with perfect 40 second exposures was amazing) and has any manufacturer
beaten the flash metering?

People have asked about lenses. I have the 50mm f1.4, 35mm f2, 24mm f2.8, 21mm
f3.5, a Tamron (sorry, but it's good) 28-75mm), 135 f3.5, 75-150mm zoom and a
200mm f4. The 24mm f2.8 is a great lens; light and sparkling in image rendition
and OK (with care) for travelling "snapshots". The 21mm is every bit as good
but a little less versatile and very expensive in UK now! The 35mm is a great
lens but a little on the heavy side, but the focal length is ideal for general
pupose now.

Finally, do you American guys realise how lucky you are? Most of the prices I
see on the Internet in the US are the roughly the same in dollars as they are
here in pounds sterling! We are paying twice what you pay! Why? Would anyone
like to send me a Leica M6 to supplement my Olympus stuff at US prices?

Cheers and Best Wishes,

John Royle