Re: [OM] 1999 Calendar / Update

Subject: Re: [OM] 1999 Calendar / Update
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:45:35 GMT
 At 9:49 am -0500 18/1/98, VirgilOM4T wrote:

>Well, the count is up to 20. I have been messing around on the > >computer and
>came up with a layout that has 24 photos. One photo is 8x10 and the other is
>2.5x4.5. Still trying to come up with an attractive layout that has more
>photos.

My present calendar is a (spiral bound) book with one week on a page.
The data pages alternate with picture pages, every one of the latter
giving room to two pictures (both side of the page each have one).
This is a commercially marketed art calendar with work of Maurits
Escher, and the idea behind is that at the end of the year you tear
out all calendar pages and you retain a booklet with 52 pages i.e.
more than 100 reproductions of Escher's work.
Two years back I used another spiral bound calendar, bought in
Ireland, with one picture above the weekly calendar data. This one had
smaller pictures (and less of course, 1 per week instead of 2, but
still giving room to more than 50) ...

Maybe an idea for the project?

>To all those interested in participating, what kind of quantity do you think
>we should try to have printed? Originally, I was thinking 1000 to 2000
>calendars, but it has been suggested to make this a major marketing idea and
>print 100,000 and try to get distribution in major bookstore chains. That size
>of run would be a fairly large investment per person, but not out of the
>question if it's picked up by a large bookstore. I need to see what the
>general consensus is.
>

>Still no word on pricing yet. Hopefully I'll find out on Monday.

I don't know too much about marketing a project like this.
Let's wait and see what investment is needed for each quantity (1K 10K
100K copies). I guess I personally would buy 20 or 25, if the price
was in the $10 range.

Another idea crossed my mind. If the project of printing a calender
like this isn't feasible after all (i.e. too expensive) we could
always try to make it an electronic one. It would do less justice to
the beautiful pictures we all are about to enter, but it would surely
reflect the characteristics of this lively mailing list. And it would
be very cheap: Someone would have to scan the (real) pictures, make
good .pdf files of them (or any other suitable format), combine with
the readily available calendar data, and... presto: everyone could
print his/her own copy locally.

Please don't misunderstand: of course the first and original idea of a
printed calendar is option #1 for me.

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.

#