Re: [OM] Questions on OM-2n

Subject: Re: [OM] Questions on OM-2n
From: sdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Stephen D. Goss)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:59:21 -0600 (CST)
Dan,
Here's what I think your camera and flash will do.  I have the OM2n, but
not the T20 (I have a dedicated Sunpak), and some of these combinations I
haven't tried.

> 1) With the mode set to "OFF" what do I get when I fire the
>    shutter?
>    (My guess is that it picks the speed based on the OTF
>    metering, the same as "AUTO" mode.)

Yes, you get the same as auto, but only to a point.  If the exposure needs
more than 1/30th of a second, your picture will be underexposed by that
much.  Which means that the switch must be set to auto to do 1 and 2
minute night shots.

> 2) With the mode set to "OFF" and a T20 flash ready (set for
>    automatic control by OM-2), what do I get when I fire the
>    shutter?

Probably the same as being set to auto, since with a flash the shutter
pretty much stays at 1/60th of a second.  The camera will quench the flash
when there is enough light.

> 3) With the mode set to "OFF" and a T20 flash ready (NOT set
>    for control by OM-2), what do I get when I fire the shutter?

Not sure.  Rotten pictures?  If the camera tries to shut the flash off
early, but the flash does not listen and dumps its whole load, you'll get
overexposed pictures, unless the picture needs *exactly* a whole flash
load.

> 4) With the mode set to "AUTO", I think it picks the speed
>    based on the OTF metering, correct?

Yes.  The display in the viewfinder is a guess done by the manual meter.
Once the shutter is tripped, the exposure is governed by the auto meter,
which only looks at the light falling on the film plane.

> 7) With the mode set to "MANUAL", I think it does whatever is
>    set and OTF has no effect, correct?

Correct.  You have turned the camera into an OM1. (which is not a bad
thing.)

> 8) With the mode set to "MANUAL" and a T20 flash ready (set for
>    control by OM-2), what do I get?

Not sure.  Basically, what you are telling the camera and the flash is
that the other piece will take care of the automatic exposure.  Sounds
like a recipe for bad pictures.

> 9) With the mode set to "MANUAL" and a T20 flash NOT set for
>    control by OM-2, I think it will do whatever is set and
>    nothing is over-ridden, correct?

When the flash is not set for control by OM-2, it uses its built in sensor
to tell when to shut off.  The OM-2 will do exactly what you tell it to
do in manual mode.

> 10) Why shouldn't I always leave the camera in the "OFF" mode?
>    and only switch to "MANUAL" mode when I want control?  Any
>    advantage to switching to "AUTO" mode?

You need the switch turned to auto for exposures longer than 1/30th of a
second.

> > 11) When does the 1/60 manual speed come into play?
> >    (Only after the batteries are dead?)

What manual speed?  When the batteries get low enough in my OM-2n, the
shutter goes open and *stays* open until I move the switch to reset.

--
Steve Goss, Dallas Texas, usa
sdg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

#