Re: [OM] Re: film pushing

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: film pushing
From: Gene Mayeda <gmayeda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 09:37:34 -0600
Peter:
Rodinal is terrific stuff.In my opinion if you really want to see just
what a film really is then use Rodinal.Each grain is rendered as sharp
as possible.The opposite effect is acheived with Microdol;the edges of
the silver crystals are softened and the fine grain developer effect
takes place.The higher your exposure index the more underexposed your
film will be.You will get some extremely graphic images that approach
the Kodalith look.The reason you are having trouble finding published
information is that the manufacturers know that average looking images
will not result from extreme underexposure and development increases to
compensate for that underexposure.That is what pushing film is.You will
rarely see any recommendations for more than a 1-2 stop push.Remember
what Ansel Adams said:"Expose for the shadows and develop for the
highlights." What you are attempting is exactly the opposite and your
results will show it.Good luck with your experiments and please keep us
informed with your progress.I think that you will have fun and get some
very graphic,high contrast results...the sort of thing the manufacturers
never planned for their products and never encourage their customers to
experiment with.I would be surprised if an average photo processor will
know how to print your negs for you.Not many do B&W these days and even
fewer will know what to do with negs that were pushed 4 stops in
Rodinal.It should be a unique look anyway and very unconventional.
-Gene Mayeda

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx