Re: [OM] Oly 50-200mm, repairable?

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly 50-200mm, repairable?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 00:05:15 -0800
On 2/27/2024 4:03 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
I have been thinking about getting a used Olympus 4/3 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 lens. I would use it on my E-M1 Mark II with a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter.  I have some old Olympus film-era telephotos that I've used occasionally, but the older I get, the more I appreciate autofocus. I also understand that the 4/3 lens would be "better," but it is hard to quantify how much.

I have read conflicting reports on whether or not this lens is currently repairable. These reports center on the availability of parts:  the older, standard motor, the newer SWD motor, and a ribbon cable. There is also the question of Olympus vs. a third party repair center, and whether or not they would repair a gray market lens (for example, from Japan) even if parts were available. All complicated by the transition from Olympus to "OM System."

Let me get this straight. You are paying say $250 or less for a lens, It stops working. It costs $250 or more to repair it,  plus the hassle.
So why not just buy another one?

I had a Canon FD 58/1.2 lens. The diaphragm/pre-set mechanism started acting up. I took it partially apart, not an easy fix. The parts are in a little box and there is another, new to me, perfectly working one in the drawer.

And . . . odds are you won't need a repair anyway.

Empirical Moose