Re: [OM] Do you suffer from vemodalen?

Subject: Re: [OM] Do you suffer from vemodalen?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 14:55:56 -0700
On 7/7/2021 11:49 AM, Peter Klein wrote:
From the Dictionary Of Obscure Sorrows. I’m sure we can all relate:

vemödalen – n. the frustration of photographing something amazing when thousands of identical
photos already exist–the same sunset, the same waterfall, the same curve of a hip, the same
closeup of an eye–which can turn a unique subject into something hollow and pulpy and cheap,

I don't much suffer from that:

1. Much of my connection to and enjoyment of most of my photos is about when, where and with whom they were taken. OK, so this sunset looks like countless others, but it connects me emotionally to a specific trip, place and time, so the memories and feelings are fresh again.

2. The light is always changing . . . I not uncommonly take yet another shot of
___, because the light is different.

3. I have noticed the last few years an increased tendency to skip shooting what I've shot before, if I don't expect any meaningful difference.

Some of what I consider some of my finest photos also come with vivid memories. You know, just writing this has sent me back to memories of several shots.

like a mass-produced piece of furniture you happen to have assembled yourself.

I think that happens tomorrow. Outdoor furniture for our newly restored deck. 😁

Les Vemödalen Moose