Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother

Subject: Re: [OM] Where are thou oh brother
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 08:34:36 -0500
When using fill flash one does not use a slow sync speed.  If the
ambient light is sufficiently bright to cast noticeable shadows a slow
shutter speed is likely to require undesirable or even unattainable
small apertures.  The E-M5 is especially bad in this respect due to its
minimum 200 ISO.  Take the worst case, full sun.  If we use the sunny 16
rule at ISO 200 we need f/16 at 1/200.  The E-M5 has a nominal max sync
speed of 1/250.  My own E-M5 will sync at 1/320 (the spec for the E-M1).
  At 1/320 the sunny 16 rule would call for f/13.  Quite probably still
an undesirable aperture even at the maximum sync speed.

All that said, I have not actually tried fill flash with the E-M5.  When
I did need it I grabbed the Canon 5D instead with its 1/200 sync speed
and minimum 50 ISO.

I also admit to having no experience at all with flash units offering
high speed sync.  Perhaps that solves they sync problem but I have
always wondered if the light output is sufficient for full sun fill.

Dr. Flash