[OM] [IMGs] M.Zuiko 12-50 Macro

Subject: [OM] [IMGs] M.Zuiko 12-50 Macro
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 16:25:45 -0700
[Goodness, I do go on. If you just want some images to look at, perhaps enjoy,
even comment on, the little gallery is
here.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/OM-D_E-M5_First_Images/M.Zuiko_12-50>
 All but
the second are simply downsized JPEGS, no processing at all.]

So who knew? Oh well, probably someone(s) here.

As I looked deeply into the OM-D, I didn't really look very carefully into the
12-50 lens. I fit into my kit plan is
water/dust sealed, above usual kit lens standards, decent price in the kit.

My initial shooting is mostly with the 14-150. At least one of my first few
shots with the 12-50, of a very familiar
subject is just, well, different looking. I wonder what that's about, but put
it off to look into later.

Night before last, after extensive use of the 14-150, I've put the 12-50 on and
have camera at hand. No new dark of
night subjects suggest themselves, so I idly check out the lens. I know there
are a couple of buttons on it, although
I'd have probably failed a test on their labels.

I recall reading about the L-Fn button in the manual, mostly for video, as I
also know about Power Zoom for video. But
what's this Macro button actually do. I push it, expecting some action or
internal noise, as it changes mode. Nada, that
button seems to do nothing at all.

I look closely at the lens. In the little window that shows manual vs. power
zoom setting, I see at an angle another
label, "Macro" I try pushing the button and pushing the zoom ring forward
beyond Power - et voilà!

The only light is where I'm sitting, and I have a notebook at hand ...
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/OM-D_E-M5_First_Images/M.Zuiko_12-50&image=_8020212.jpg>

Well, I didn't change the EV comp., so it's underexposed and the notebook is
sort of standing on end, to get the light,
so I can't differentiate edge sharpness from lens sharpness vs. field
curvature, vs. DOF on curved paper, but it's
pretty impressive. Fix the exposure, resharpen for downsizing, side lighting
has, as planned, really shown up the
texture of the paper, and it's darn good.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/OM-D_E-M5_First_Images/M.Zuiko_12-50&image=_8020212oofm.jpg>

So yesterday, I wandered out into the yard. The first shot is not really in
focus. I suppose I probably moved a bit
between focus and shot. Whatever it is, I like the soft focus effect, and wish
I knew how to reliably reproduce it.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/OM-D_E-M5_First_Images/M.Zuiko_12-50&image=_8020213.jpg>

Then I find a more interesting bud, with entwining sepals, and get the focus
right. Hey, that's pretty darn good!
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/OM-D_E-M5_First_Images/M.Zuiko_12-50&image=_8020214.jpg>

So I made a few more. The garden whimsey is first shot normally, then macro.
The hibiscus stamen is shot at two
apertures.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Home/OM-D_E-M5_First_Images/M.Zuiko_12-50>

Close Up Moose