Re: [OM] Shameless Plug Alert - B&W with Studio 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Shameless Plug Alert - B&W with Studio 2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 16:32:39 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:
> This week's "Picture of the Week" is a conversion done in Olympus Studio 2.
>  I'm really liking this program, folks.
> www.zone-10.com

I'm not convinced. The majority of the image is ok. A bit high key for
my taste and screen, but as you say, you are aiming for a specific
'look' of a print from a specific film.

The problem for me is all the blown highlights and clumped high values.
The almost square section of mid distance foliage in the center has a
lot of blocked up highlights, but isn't too bad and can be tamed, if
desired.

But the distant foliage above it looks more like a digital camo pattern
than foliage. I'd guess from my own experience that it is the result of
failed highlight recovery. I've seen similar symptoms in my own efforts.
In color, it tends to manifest as the slightly less than highest tones
turning gray. Here, it appears as though the last handful of luminance
bits have been pulled down and separated, forming a very choppy tonal
distribution at the very top end.

Looking at the lack of four pixel clumping @ 300%, and considering the
358kb image size, I don't think it is related to JPEG compression. ACR
is generally the champ at color highlight recovery. It would be
interesting to see how it did with that area, but I'm thinking you don't
have it. How does RawTherapee do?

As to the general issue of differentiating the foreground leaves from
background, and leaving aside any goal of matching a specific film/print
appearance, an alternative is to let them stand out from a darker
background. This also allows a more nuanced tonality in the leaves
themselves. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/AG/ForestLeaves.htm>

Of course, I wasn't there, but I like the sense of scattered light
filtering down through a higher canopy of tree foliage.

One of the frustrations of monitor profiling for me is the lack of
standardized brightness. At least my profiling software, although it has
a colorimeter to read brightness, has me set it to match a description
of my room brightness. So I'm pretty sure my display colors are accurate
and the inner tonal relationships are good, but the overall apparent
image brightness could be quite different than what someone else sees.

If your monitor is set darker than mine, I may have seen your image as
too bright, and you may see my alternate as very dark.

Moose