[OM] Re: In camera BW vs post processing

Subject: [OM] Re: In camera BW vs post processing
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:00:35 -0500
ACR certainly throws it away (except for the color temperature) but
other raw processors do take note of the EXIF data which, for Canyon at
least, includes the various JPEG settings for sharpness, contrast,
"picture style" etc, etc, which includes whether the shot was monochrome
or color.  I wasn't 100% sure of this since I don't use "Digital Photo
Professional" to process raw images.  So I decided to install the stuff
that came with the 5D and ran into an installation problem with one of
the apps.  I decided to go to Canon's site to see if there was a later
version and was surprised to discover that almost all of the software
had been upgraded since I bought the camera.

I also discovered that there's a very recent firmware update for the 5D
which I hadn't known about.

But the answer is, yes.  If you load a Canyon raw file into Canyon's
software (and BreezeBrowser) your raw file will be displayed with the
"as shot" parameters in effect at the time of the shot.  In fact,
BreezeBrowser's implementation is a bit superior to Canon's since they
give a full parameter list and show which one was in effect.  If you
start editing the image it's easy to go back to the "as shot" settings.
With the Canyon software, however, I don't believe there's an easy way
to recover the "as shot" settings once you've started to change them.

Chuck Norcutt