[OM] Re: Bob Shell Murder Trial

Subject: [OM] Re: Bob Shell Murder Trial
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 19:30:51 +1000
Here the terminology is simpler than yours with 'degrees' of murder.
Premeditated killing - murder. The judge decides appropriate
sentence, dependant on circumstances.
Beat someone up in a bar fight and they die - manslaughter. You
didn't intend to kill but you should have been aware that your
behaviour or intent to harm could lead to death.
It is possible for a nasty case of manslaughter to draw a heavier
sentence than a case of murder with substantial provocation - but rare.
But, and it's a big but. It was discovered that juries were reluctant
tot convict drivers of manslaughter, unless they were particularly
nasty individuals. The theory was that jurors were sitting there
thinking that it was an accident and it could have happen to the
juror themselves but for luck - after all, most of us have driven
with a few too many drinks inside us at some time. It was impossible
to impanel a juror so smug and self-righteous that they would cast
the first stone.
Thus the charge of 'culpable driving' - driving in a recklessly
guilty manner leading to death or injury. It can draw a heavy
sentence but usually does not on the grounds that the individual has
been stupid rather than malicious. Naturally, the families of victims
are usually irate at the short sentences but that's seen as
preferable to no conviction at all.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx