[OM] Re: Huge print + E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Huge print + E-500
From: "Rickard Nilsson" <rickard.nilsson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 09:24:49 +0200
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 04:22:06 +0200, Chuck Norcutt
<chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've never tried stitching macro before either but I think it would be
> very difficult.  It would place a real premium on having the camera/lens
> adjusted very, very precisely to avoid parallax error between frames.

The photo is really not very macro-ish. It's supposed to be of a flower
in a vase. I was hoping that stacking two or three horizontal shots
would not prove too difficult. It think it can be done by just adjusting
the tripod height.

> I'm back.  I was curious enough to perform my own 23 ppi experiment and
> the quality is actually better than I expected.  I cropoed out a section
> of an image as described above and printed it on plain paper at low
> (text) quality to make an 8x10.  At 6 feet away it looks pretty good but
> I can still see a bit of pixellation along the gunwale of a boat.  By
> the time I'm 12 feet back all pixellation is gone.

That sounds great. I played around a bit with Rasterbator
(http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/) some time ago, and it's amazing how
low resolution an image can be recognised in, from a distance.

   / Rickard