[OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] little rant on e-mail politeness
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:24:14 +1000
I've heard that excuse before in comments like - "I only go to the
post office on alternate Thursdays if the wind is from the south and
the sheep's entrails augur well so you'll just have to wait a bit." I
can't imagine any Australian being more than a few kilometres from a
post office unless they live in the middle of the bloody desert. I'm
on the semi-forested fringe of the city and mine is in the local
newsagency 2km away - used to be  a separate building and now it's a
sub-agency. It's in the shopping strip and, well, you gotta go
shopping sometime innit? Every rural settlement here has an agency
that can deal with an international parcel without problems. They use
- gasp - wait for it - computers to organise it. Once I had to go and
have a cup of coffee and wait for 30 mins 'cos the connection was down.
My experience of the UK postal system is that it hasn't moved out of
the dark ages much. Of the French system that it seems much like ours
with a shop that sells all you need from boxes to bubble wrap. Are
USPS ones like your voting booths - large, very far apart, closed at
weekends and full of angry people?
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx