Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT?) art and photography
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 10:03:59 -0300
on 23/09/2003 00:53, David Cochran at cochran@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think that "the piece" should be the statement it does not have to be
> explained. It is good if you have an "intelectual" approach for your art but
> sometimes is pure flow and guts.
Recently I attended an exhibition of a well known local photographer, whose
approach was merging *haiku* and his photos. There was no Artist Statement
hanging somewhere, so I had to be explained what haiku was. Written in
Spanish they didn't sound right (the artist writes them in japanese first,
then translates) _ and there is no such a form of 'formal minimalist
gestalt' poetry in Spanish. I first thought the "pieces" talked for
themselves (from about 20 photos, at least five of them were stunning but
another five seemed overcomposed) but then found that those small poems
complemented the image very accurately, or at least guided me through his
own view of the scene. Since these were full of sadness, some guidance was
useful.

Fernando.