Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system

Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
From: Alexander Schrieken <alx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 20:16:52 +0200
> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:04:13 -0400
> From: "Daniel Sepke" <fred42@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [OM] Panorama Shots (QTVR) using OM-system
>
> Hi there,
>
> Fun product. Here is my reading of the
> instructions you have included.
>
> The lens you need has to be a macro one (it has
> to focus on an object 9"  away. The 50mm f3.5 or
> 50mm f2 will focus this close. The next problem
> you have to solve is the angle of view. I suspect
> the 50mm may be too  wide from what they are
> saying. They suggest a 60mm in the text below.

Yeah, the standard 50 mm was too wide. With
regards to the 50 mm macro lenses: I'm worried
about the depth of field. Since I've to get in as
close as possible to get the mirror to cover most
of the film it will be quite shallow!
(Calculations return a figure of 1 to 1.5
inches...)

> In your experiments so far has the 50mm you tried
> provided a full frame  of the two edges of the
> mirror?

Yes, I got the mirror in view completely. Problem
is, that it only fills about one third of the
hight of the film.

> If so then you need to find one of the
> two lenses above. You should also be able to work
> with a macro focusing  short zoom lens. That one
> would provide you with some scope to fine tune
> the angle of view problem (assuming the zoom is
> macro capable across it range of focal lengths,
> not all are).

Are there lenses of this kind in the OM-system?
Which one would you suggest?

> The key is to be using a macro lens as I far as I
> can see you need to be focusing on the mirror
> and not the reflection in mirror.

That's correct. Basically what's required is the
biggest possible image of the mirror on the film,
while retaining depth of field. I guess the
former can be achieved by using macro lenses, but
because of the extremely small distance to the
subject the depth of field will be minimal --
read: too small.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Dan.

Thanx for your reply Dan all help is appreciated.
Anybody else got any ideas?

Underneath is an excerpt from the EyeSee manual.
Note that the distance between subject and camera
must be between 9 and 18 inches. The required
depth of field is 2 to 3 inches.

> Although a wide range of cameras can be used
> with the SLR Bracket, in general you need to
> use a camera and lens combination that will
> allow you to fill the image frame with the
> mirror as much as possible. Additionally,
> you=E2=80=99ll need to use a camera/lens that
> can focus on the mirror with an adequate
> depth-of-field. Typically, this means you will
> be using macro close-up lenses (i.e. 60mm Micro
> Nikkor) or wide-angle zoom lenses with macro
> focus capabilty (9 - 18 inch distance) and 2 -
> 3 inch depth-of-field. The camera lens has to
> be able to focus on an object like a baseball
> so that all the stitching is clear, sharp and
> in focus.
>
> One thing to keep in mind when using the SLR
> Bracket is that the depth-of-field will
> increase as the distance between the camera and
> the mirror increases.

Hopefully someone on this list can point me in
the right direction. Any advice is welcome!

Regards,

Alexander
the Netherlands