Re: [OM] wide lens

Subject: Re: [OM] wide lens
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:36:43 -0400
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > Conditions in the mountains there are very different from what I face
here
> > in eastern Canada. Here I live maybe about 100 to 200 feet above sea
level,
> > and the sun is seldom directly overhead, except maybe in the middle of
the
> > day in the summer. There it seems like the sun is always directly
overhead.
> > UV and flare have been a real problem for me in Bolivia in the past....
> >
> Wayne, I used slow film, Kodachrome64 generally and K25 on snow, and was
> careful to shade the camera with a hat or a friends body. A super wide
> will be a problem even with a shade because light reflects off of any
> light surface and so no matter which way you are pointing there is
> something bright shining back at you. This is exacerbated by the fact
> that the sun is rarely much over 90 deg away any time of day. I tried a
> UV filter with little effect. Probably hurt since nothing you put in
> front of the lens is better than the lens itself for dealing with
> flare.  A skylight filter may help deal with the blueness of the light
> plus the blowing dirt and grit up on the altiplano. A polarizer will
> turn the sky black at that altitude, most effect near the horizon when
> the sun is directly overhead. Black sky, white clouds and sparkling
> clear air, this can be dramatic but the color gradient with a 21 or 18
> will be a problem. Early morning and late evening is a good time for
> photos. Another problem is extreme contrast. When one side of a person's
> face is correctly exposed the other side will be black. A fill flash is
> a great help.

First, let me say thanks to all who've responded. We are dealing with some
sickness with both my wife's mother, and my dad, so am getting a little
behind on the list right now.

As for the 21/3.5, it sounds exactly what I want, but I think is a little
too expensive right now, so I may make myself be content with 28mm. Someone
sugested taking the 135mm, of which I have the 2.8 version. But it is just a
little too heavy to carry for what few times I would use it. I've never seen
the 3.5 version, but it does sound more practical for something like this.
It would be nice to take everything, but is way too much to carry. I'll just
be taking the screw-on f=40 for close-ups, and leaving the vivitar 2x macro
at home.

Mike, it sounds as if you've faced similar problems as I have (and others
too). I've never used a polarizer down there, but have gotten pretty dark
skies anyway. Here is an example of one taken about 13,000 feet, with pretty
dark skies.
As to the UV filter, I'll stick with it for protection from grit if for no
other reason. I'll definitely be using a lens hood when I can, and will try
to take Moose's advice on the other shade possibilities. I always have my
Tilley hat with me, as I'd cook to a beet red in that sun without it.

We don't have to deal with much snow where we are going in Bolivia, but lots
of blowing dust and grit. Because there is so much brown, I'm thinking of
going away from Kodachrome 64, to try for a bit more dramatic color.
Wayne