Re: [OM] Tiffen filters?

Subject: Re: [OM] Tiffen filters?
From: julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:36:52 +0000 (GMT)
Try to find the high spots and squeeze gently. Not advised if you are attached
to the filter, however, as it is exactly as imprecise as it sounds, and it's
pretty easy to go too far, or worse, to get the filter out of plane. Brass
doesn't like to bend too easily.. Alternatively, a repairer could use the
inverse of the filter ring straightener tool, but unless you know an
understanding one, this will almost certainly cost more than the filter is
worth. As a last resort, transplant the glass into the mount of a scrap filter.
My guess is that this is the best route, but I have no idea of how the
retainers work on a Tiffen, so getting the glass out undamaged may be
challenging.
Whatever, take a very long, hard look at the filter before you do anything, as
I'm just guessing from your description and relating it to a problem I once had
with an OM filter.

Julian