[OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners

Subject: [OM] Request for help/ideas/advice re: Grand Canyon, Four Corners
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 10:27:09 -0600
Greetings, everyone.

Being a silly Canadian, I have no knowledge whatsoever of the area known as the
"Four Corners" in the American Southwest, nor any real idea of the Grand Canyon
(North or South Rims).  The reason I'm talking about this is to solicit some
advice.

I'll be flying into Denver in early November with the better half plus a couple
of dear friends (best combination of flight availability from Edmonton, flight
type [non-stop] and price), spending a while in Santa Fe and then heading off
to Flagstaff with plans to use it as an exploration base for the Grand Canyon
and/or any other sights in the vicinity.  Of course, I'm bringing a minimalist
kit (probably the OM-4, a 21/2.0, a 50/1.2 and a Vivitar 2x macro focusing
teleconverter).  I *might* also bring a tripod, but I just find myself really
chafing under the burden of having one strapped to me all day long...

Questions:

1. Is there a pro camera shop in Denver (or, second choice, Santa Fe) where I
can purchase a brick of Provia or Velvia?  Is it open on Sundays?  (I'm getting
tired of doing the "*please* hand-inspect my film" shtick with airport
security, and post-9/11, I really don't want to raise *any* fuss if I can help
it -- full-body cavity searches have never been a turn-on for me).

2. What's to do around Santa Fe?  I've got the guidebooks, but I'd like
recommendations from any and all who know of good photographic opportunities.

3. North Rim or South Rim?  The North's a much longer drive, but I'm also told
it's far superior to the South Rim, with less tourists and better vistas.  Is
early November late enough in the year to get away from the hordes in the
South, or should I just grit my teeth, get up at 4:00 A.M. in Flagstaff, and
head to the North Rim for the sunrise?

4. Any other suggestions as to where to go?  (Obvious good-natured insults get
sent to /dev/null/).

5. Hotels/motels that were your favourites?

Thanks, everyone.

Garth