Re: [OM] Lens sharpness

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens sharpness
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 11:36:50 -0800 (PST)
Olympus is almost like older machinery in that it is
built to last you for a lifetime with only minor
tuneups and replacements required. My grandmother has
an old Singer sewing machine that has lasted her all
her life without any breaks or anything. Today's
camera companies have instead adopted the 'planned
obselecence' model of building. That is introducing a
model and then superceding that model after only a few
years by the 'New, Improved, Super Camera of Tomorrow'
thus making your stuff look like chaep obselete crap
in comparison, this especially applies to AF zoom
lenses.

As to sharpness, look at Leica, they don't change
their lenses' formulation for 20-50 years and yet
still retain their image as having legendary lenses
that can beat out nearly anything in the world. Their
old 90mm/2 lens, which is based on an old formulation,
scores just as high as their new APO version. Zoomar
lenses, which are ultra rare and expensive, were
produced in the 70's and have performance that beats
everyone else (at least that's what I've heard).

As for your final comment about the Tokina and 28mm. I
must tell you that the Tokina and Tamron 90mm lenses,
altohugh great performers, are bulky, heavy, and in my
humble opinion, unbalancing. I had a 90mm Taron and
the pics I took handheld were crap while the pics I
took with a tripod or support were brilliant. Its just
something about that lens that gave my hand cramps
where I could handhold even my Zuiko 300/4.5 and still
get nice pics. As for the 28mm I think you may have a
dud lens, hey it happens.

Hope this helps in making your decision.

Mark Lloyd