RE: [OM] adapting OM gear to other cameras

Subject: RE: [OM] adapting OM gear to other cameras
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 14:32:47 -0800

David Hughes wrote:

>Modern Photography said that Marty also converted a lot of Yashica
>mirror lenses. I don't remember whether it was screw or K-mount (I
>thought the early Yashica models followed the Pentax mount strategy?).

Maybe, just maybe it was a screw-mount. AFAIK, Yashica never made a
K-mount body, and their Y/C mount mirror lenses are not exactly the
subject of a serious photographer's wet dream (speaking of which --
I have just acquired a Vivitar Series 1 600mm F8 Solid Cat :-)).

>Marty also made some money (again according to Modern Photography)
>converting Pentax right-angle finders to fit OM eyepieces, supposedly
>a superior alternative to the Olympus vari-magni finder.

That must have been a very lucrative business, especially since AFAIK
Pentax M-series finders fit perfectly on OM bodies (and vice versa!).
Same is true, btw, with Pentax K-series right-angle finder which is
a perfect match for the Olympus FTL. Boy, this Marty must be selling
tons of ice to the Eskimo. :-)

Anyone remembers why Modern Photography went belly up?

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx