Re: [OM] Versions of Zuiko 50mm f 1.8

Subject: Re: [OM] Versions of Zuiko 50mm f 1.8
From: John Hermanson <jhermanson21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 12:49:52 -0400
I have found that some "Made in Japan"  samples are actually the previous
MC version.  As if the factory ran out of MC name rings and substituted the
newer MIJ rings before switching over to the MIJ design.  Comparing the
insides and front lens assy confirms this.  A REAL MIJ 50 1.8 will be over
serial number 5 mill.

On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 6:16 PM usher99--- via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Reputedly Type 5 lenses are optically superior. They all seem to have
> been
> > made in the same factory and precision and QC may well have been better.
> > You cannot, however assume a Type 5 is better than any other; My best and
> > worst samples of the 50mm f1.8 are both Type 5.Thanks for the
> comprehensive answer, Chris!   All that rings true but a couple of
> surprising observations.  I was not aware of that much copy variability for
> the MIJ versions and would have thought the serial numbers would be a good
> indicator for the most part unless the lens had been disassembled. I have
> not seen any mention on this list of large sample variability on the high
> sn 50/1.4 Zuikos.  Certainly the Z 21 f2's had much sample variability in
> sharpness at wider apertures as documented by Mike Hatem.  At least Nathan
> obtained his from Bill Barber, IIRC, so should have a nice MIJ copy.  I may
> have to go look at my Z 50/1.8, Z 50/2 macro, Z 50/1.4 and Z. 50/3.5 macro
> just to give them some attention.
> Nifty fifty fan, Mike
> --

John Hermanson