[OM] Nathan's PAD 14/5/2023: a proud moment

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 14/5/2023: a proud moment
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2023 06:04:13 -0400
I am spending a bit over a week visiting my son in Weehawken, NJ. The main
purpose of the trip is what happened yesterday: he received his MBA  diploma
from Columbia University, the fruit of hard work the past 16 months
(thankfully, financed by his employer). It was beautiful day in New York
yesterday, and I was moved by the thought of how our family has gone in 3
generations from poverty in Lublin, Poland where my father was born in 1925,
through the devastation of the Holocaust which almost wiped the family off the
face of the Earth, to my son now graduating from one of the world’s great
universities.

The ceremony was quite nice, albeit with a bit of a brutal starting time of 8
a.m. on a Sunday—I joked with my son that this was to prepare him for the world
of breakfast meetings and other perversities of business life. I took some
photos (surprise!), and share two of them here.

The graduates are marching into the designated seating area:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-3hNPVDF/A

After the ceremony, lots of mingling and greeting (and a reception). Here, my
son chats with a fellow newly minted MBA who has her little daughter with her.
The little girl is clearly uncertain about the throng of people including the
unknown man with a camera:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-KPc6fJh/A

We will also attend the general commencement at Columbia on Wednesday, and
otherwise spend the week enjoying the offerings of the city (MoMA is on the
agenda today), and perhaps driving down to the Trenton/Lawrenceville area where
we lived from 1990 to 1995.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman