Re: [OM] Keeper--yes, no, or can't tell?

Subject: Re: [OM] Keeper--yes, no, or can't tell?
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 22:17:46 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<An interesting article still relevant today I think? before dpreview
disappears

<<https://www.dpreview.com/articles/7333489584/variation-facts-and-fallacies

Hi Wayne,
Fortunately, Roger's blogs/articles will survive on his site.  That article was
12 years ago and I was fussing because the lens will be used wide open on a 42
megapickle cam with
aspirations for a large print if all turns out.  I certainly learned early on
that very precise focusing is key to testing and do that manually under highest
magnification and then review the images at max mag to be sure have the best
sharpness.
I really didn't want an obviously weak corner.  It was not a stinker lens as
outlier but clearly not top tier. The softness was just visible on my monitor
at normal viewing mag and very easy to see at 100%.  My Loxia was definitely
decentered but I never use it but stopped down, so didn't bother with the
aggravation of an exchange as it would not make difference in any scenario for
which I was likely to use it.  Anyways I am happier with the lens and will take
better images regardless, because I am happier with the lens.  Could the
softness be evened out in post--perhaps, but that is not the point.

Mike