[OM] Nathan's PAD 4/12/2022: a bike ride in Andalusia

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 4/12/2022: a bike ride in Andalusia
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2022 12:37:20 +0100
This is a 4-day weekend for many people in Spain, becase Tuesday Dec. 6th is a
national holiday, so everyone who can has taken Monday off to create “a bridge”
as we call it. My wife is playing in a golf tournament in a small town about
200 km south of Alicante, just south of the border between the autonomous
regions of Murcia and Andalucía (the nearest bigger city is Almería). We are
staying at a resort right on the coast, and while my wife plays golf I ride my
bike, exploring the local roads. Yesterday I cycled south along a very nice
coastal route. Five images follow.

This part of Spain is a mix of tourism and agriculture—a high share of the
vegetables consumed in Spain and in Europe is grown in this region. This was
the view right at the start of my ride:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-3bp7gvc/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-3bp7gvc/A>

The coastal road was truly lovely. The town in the distance is called
Villaricos:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-ZP496cK/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-ZP496cK/A>

I stopped for a few minutes in Villaricos:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-j4SZbBf/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-j4SZbBf/A>

I continued cycling south from Villaricos. The landscape became flat and the
cycling was easy, but the beatiful coastal views were gradually replaced by
urban sprawl. This is in the town Playa de Vera. A bit surreal to see Santa
while it is a sunny 20C:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-z4n8jvM/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-z4n8jvM/A>

Still futher south, the town of Garrucha, now full tourist mode. I should not
knock it, I am a tourist here myself, and the sea and sunshine provides people
with a living. But it does not make for a particularly attractive view, so I
continued a few km more to a town called Mojacár, where I turned around and
headed back to our hotel:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-rPzKZSZ/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-rPzKZSZ/A>

Still, it was a nice few hours on two wheels, and a 70 km ride is always a good
thing.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman