Re: [OM] Almost Sunday Flutterby

Subject: Re: [OM] Almost Sunday Flutterby
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2022 14:49:38 -0700
On 7/31/2022 7:49 AM, DZDub wrote:
On Sat, Jul 30, 2022 at 6:01 PM Mike Gordon via olympus <
olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

An Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, a frequent visitor to our garden, decided to
land on a Phlox.  I ran to grab my fastest kit and given the size didn't
really need the CU diopter and
cloudy bright conditions made fill flash optional.  . . .

https://www.olyendomike.com/Macro-2017/i-3BJ3Nfg/A
Masterfully done, Mike!  Flox also great and attractive background with
that lovely 100-400 "air".

I know attractive backgrounds are important to you, as you have written about using wide apertures to get that effect, more than once.

Don't let yourself be fooled by the shenanigans of others. This lovely shot has has work done on the background, separate from the subject(s). At full size, one tiny masking fault and the nature of the edge of the wings reveal that. I wouldn't be surprised if some blurring were involved.

Here's how my post processing of my photo of the Oregon Swallowtail progressed. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Background%20Blur/OregonSTail.htm>

There are cases with stack/brackets where nicely blurred background from the first slice may be used. But not with a single shot like this. This is to my taste, YMMV

Fudged Bokeh Moose