Re: [OM] Cedar Waxwing photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Cedar Waxwing photos
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 00:00:24 -0500
On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 10:01 PM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/15/2022 1:36 PM, DZDub wrote:
> > I've been shooting flowers lately because the yard flowers and prairies
> are
> > in full bloom right now, but as I was finishing last night and looking up
> > the river from a little swing we have in the back yard, I saw a bird
> flying
> > from the shadows of a maple tree out part way across the river and back.
> > Since I had my mZ 100-400 ready and loaded, I thought I'd see what I
> could
> > get.  Sun was setting and I was in the shadows at ground level, but there
> > were still some rays of sun on the bird.
> >
> > http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23878
> >
> > EM-1mkiii + mZ 100-400
>
> I like these. I too enjoy a series of poses. I liked the bee, too. It's
> fun, "watching" someone learning the joys of a
> favorite lens.
>
> On the tech side, it seems to me that NR has smoothed over the feather
> detail in the body, other than a couple of
> ruffled places.

I appreciate your looking and commenting!  I'm still marveling at what can
be pulled up from a grossly underexposed raw from this camera.  I think I
gave them at least a 1 stop EV boost in OMW and then finished them all with
similar levels and curves adjustments. Huge crops.  They look a little
plasticine to my eyes, especially the web versions, and I don't work very
hard on web versions anyway.  But I'm not sure.  The birds are pretty
sleek.  The texture of the tree limbs tended to convince me that the birds
probably looked the way they were supposed to.  If I knew where to restrain
NR I would try it to see if I could get a better result.  Topaz DeNoise
seemed to improve detail rather than remove it.  Any suggestions
appreciated!

Joel W.