Re: [OM] Any PC repair experts out there?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any PC repair experts out there?
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 18:51:23 -0500
On Tue, Jul 5, 2022 at 11:19 AM Mike Bloor <admin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks everyone for the advice. I decided to try heat first. I stood
> the heatsink in a bowl with the processor on top, then poured boiling
> water into the bowl to about half way up the heat sink. After a few
> minutes gentle pressure against the side of the processor, using the
> side of a knife blade, twisted the processor and from then on it came
> away easily.

Glad you had success, Mike.  Interesting that this thread appears right
now.  I had been in the process of disassembling my Asus G74S to clean it
and replace the heat sink goo.  I've been running it amidst CPU throttling
and heat shutdowns for weeks now.  Youtube vids were helpful but I had to
remove the MB to get at the CPU, GPU, and fans.  Compressed air and some
new goo and it is running quite cool now.  Not exactly fast, but quite a
bit faster than before.  The Asus lives to fight on for the photos.

Joel W.