Re: [OM] Speed hurts

Subject: Re: [OM] Speed hurts
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 15:24:38 +0000
     I've seen no end of similar accidents around here, some of them
fatalities.  Usually the result of someone running a red light.  Plus a couple
of suicides where someone floors it and rams a light pole. Pretty sad.

     Because of those plus a number of near-death experiences while cycling,
I've adopted the manner of crossing streets against the light when cycling as
it is far safer since you don't need to be concerned about people running the
light or making a left turn on top of you. In nine states it is now legal to do
so, Colorado being the most recent.

>Our normally quiet residential suburban street was anything but quiet this
>afternoon.
>There was a serious traffic accident just down the street from our house. We
>didn't
>see it happen, but we certainly heard it.  No fatalities as far as I know, but
>there were
>serious injuries. The officers I talked to said that one of the vehicles was
>speeding.
>Judging from the aftermath, that is an understatement. This is not a subject I
>usually
>cover, but I was there, so I took a few pictures. To all my American friends,
>have a
>happy and safe 4th of July weekend. And everyone, please drive carefully!

Chris

- Hunter S. Thompson