[OM] Drobos

Subject: [OM] Drobos
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 23:41:45 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
I have looked into them before and my nephew uses them.  I like that it has a
hardware controller, is dead simple to use  and can mix and match drives if so
wished.
If a drive fails, that is not a problem as can swap out and rebuild.  If the
controller dies, well then I don't know.  Some seem to like Synology units as
an alternative, but not sure I would do much now.
They filed Chapter 11 which is reorganization but difficult to see how they can
make any money at all  and emerge from bankruptcy as customers can't buy any
unit due to part supply shortage.
If all is well, would wait until they are liquidated  (Ch. 7) and then worry
some.   Last I read file virtualization is managed by a virtualization layer in
a proprietary format.  Failures may be expensive or impossible to fix, but I am
no expert.

Simple backup, with not that much data, Mike