[OM] The enduring appeal of GAS

Subject: [OM] The enduring appeal of GAS
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 21:13:31 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
GAS is Us Moose writes:

C-U is also important to me. This lens shares with the 12-100/4 closest focus
at 12 mm, rather than the long end. I tried the Sigma Achromatic Macro Lens AML
72-01, but the result was disappointing. Then the Pentax T-132 did a great job.

<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=2022-06-11%2021-42-23%20%28B%2CRadius8%2CSmoothing4%29oofm.jpg>

Curiously the Pentax T132 as lovely as it is on the PL 100-400 is LOUSY on the
12-100.  Moose just about put the Sigma CU diopter in my hand with a link.  The
working distance isn't great, but I think it is decent on the 12-100/4?   The
12-200 does not have sync IS but I think the advantage is much less on the OM-1
as the IBIS is so good.  I think only half a stop or so depending on the lens
which is much different than earlier models.  The 12-200 images seem to clean
up well and seems dramatically better than that Tammy on the 5D.

https://www.olyendomike.com/La-Palma-2022/i-QZWcZqx/A

This was a quick single shot while we were hiking from one Mirador to
another--no heavy lifting on that one.

https://www.olyendomike.com/La-Palma-2022/i-qQbP6sB/A

Perhaps I should have focus bracketed but I thought it is OK for what it is.
In past times I used to always have a dedicated macro kit and if the subject is
worth a macro shot, it is worth putting on extension tubes or a macro lens.
That doesn't work so well when hiking.  I can catch up but can get waaaay
behind for a while.

New appreciation for achromatic CU diopters, Mike