Re: [OM] Not So Still - Life

Subject: Re: [OM] Not So Still - Life
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 22:56:50 -0700
On 5/9/2022 9:06 AM, Dean Hansen via olympus wrote:
Occasional List entomologist Dean weighs in here.  The damselflies "doin'
it" have actually finished "doin' it",

How does one know that - doin' vs. what you describe below?

and the male (the one to the left)
is holding the female until she is done laying her eggs which he has
fertilized.  He doesn't want a second male to horn in and also fertilize
any of her eggs, so he may even keep hold of her until she is done with the
underwater egg-laying process.  Put "damselfly egg laying" into Google for
some interesting images and information.
      Great shot, Moose!

Thanks!

The dragonflies doing the same thing were far less cooperative in posing. 😁

Here's another that I could know more about. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_4270777-78cr2oofm70.jpg>

I assume it's a nymph that has been abandoned, but of what? None of the pix for
dragonflies or damselflies I found match.

Hatching Moose