[OM] IMG: Good Friday in Alicante

Subject: [OM] IMG: Good Friday in Alicante
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2022 06:21:38 -0400
The long flight across the Atlantic the other day gave me time to finally
process my images from Semana Santa. This year was the first time since Easter
2019 that the usual processions could take place, and this was something that
many people really anticipated. These celebration are a mix of religious
devotion and local tradition (and fiesta), I suspect that for many people the
latter aspect is more important than the former. Certainly this is the case for
me.

This year, I went to the centre in the evening of Good Friday, the most
important part of Easter week since this was the day of the crucifixion,
arguably the most important day in the Christian calendar. I took the tram to
the city, knowing that parking and driving would be a major challenge, and
indeed it was even more crowded than in a normal year. I went early, and so the
first part of the gallery is in colour, but once darkness fell and the
processions began, I switched to B&W because I think those images are better
that way. A gallery of about 40 images is here:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Viernes-Santo-2022/

Regarding the headgear, my son (who lives in New Jersey and whom I will see on
Tuesday) had this comment: “This is the time of year when everyone looks at
Spain and asks WTF?”

Comments welcome and appreciated as always.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"