[OM] M1 awesomeness

Subject: [OM] M1 awesomeness
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 21:46:21 -0800
Yup. I got an M1. Amazing, really. I thought it would be like the
other model, but it's amazing how smooth and quick it is. Honestly, I
should have gotten one when it first came out, but well, you know...

Anyway, it's one of the new Macbook Pro M1 laptops with the 512G SSD.
Got it on sale AND the beauty of living in Alaska is that there is no
sales tax. Yay me.

So far it has been running flawlessly and I've had zero issues with
any stability or problems with non-M1 computer programs. But others
have had innumerable problems. On one of the music production groups
this is a widespread problem. But we figured out one of the
causations.

My older computer is a 2015 Macbook Pro I7 (same general specification
as my new one), but it's still running Big Sur. The Monterey update
won't install correctly due to an oddball situation so I'm stuck at
the moment until I can do a system purge and restore. The new computer
came with Monterey installed, but before I loaded ANYTHING, I made
sure it was fully updated with the very latest update.

Download and install every application fresh and new. DO NOT restore
from a backup or Time Machine. The reason is that the computer may not
catch the need to run the legacy program through Rosetta.

Speed comparison between my 2015 and 2022? The old computer with the
I7 processor (and same memory and SSD) is still no slouch. There are
some things where the computers are essentially interchangeable with
no significant differences. However, other things are massively
different. For the most part, I'd say that for anything that is
optimized to run on the M1 processor it's about 5 times faster than my
I7, but for those things that are not, it's still faster, but not by
much. Maybe 2X at most. The biggest change has to do with anything
display intensive. The computer handles the displays much better than
the older computer.

My audio applications are where the major improvements are seen. If
the VSTs and plugins are M1 native, I can run a lot more. I think that
pretty much across the board it's about 5X improvement over the 2015.
I've got a couple of plugins that I can get just one instance to run
without nuking the CPU. One of them on the M1 will allow me to run two
instances, the other gives me five in my initial testing.

Davinci is a mixed bag so far, but that's because I'm running the new
beta release of version 18 on the M1, version 17 on the old computer.
What I'm seeing in my cursory glance is a performance gain of 5-10X.
My daughter is seeing similar numbers with FCP. She also bought an
identical computer and is upgrading from a Macbook Air.

So, anyway, in a nutshell, the Macbook Pro 13.3" M1/512 get's a rating
of 4.5 out of 5 lens-caps. Highly Recommended.

AG Schnozz