Re: [OM] OM-1 redux

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-1 redux
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 21:41:11 -0700
On 4/18/2022 3:10 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
A very valuable Redux.  Thank you for posting.
I agree. There is a tiny part of me that wants to get one, but what I
think these comparisons prove is just how good I actually have it now.

I don't think it's a game changer in simple imaging terms. It is better, no doubt about that. I was wowed by ISO 800; it's so much nicer than on the E-M1 II. Guess I may need to look at ISO 400 and 200 comparisons. I've been hoping that DPR would get their full review up soon, as their comparison tool is terrific.

It's the sensor speed and computational tools that will make it worth it for
some users:

- Hand held High Res really starts to come into its own with the faster sensor readout. Get something that's still or moving slow, push the little red button, then the shutter, and boom, high res. Exposure is very quick, processing  pretty quick. It makes a 50 MP file. In a rough comparison to a 42 MP A7RII, the amount of detail is pretty close. The files are softish, but respond well to post.

When I got down to the 100% nitty gritty, tiny differences in focal plane made
more difference.

- Faster sensor readout means faster Pro Mode with AF for each frame.

- AF is supposed to be faster, with all pixels cross PD.

- I suppose I'll use the built-in "ND filter" some day . . .

- I wonder if I'll use the star AF, but MikeG says it's the cat's meow for
night skies.

- The new subject AF modes look useful. I'll be trying the bird mode soon.

- For those of us at MK II, the OM-1 adds a custom mode. I think that's going
to be useful for me.

- It's to be the last "Oly" camera with the classic "OLYMPUS" name across the front.
😉

Against it:

- The battery is different.  OTOH, the battery is smaller, yet higher capacity, and apparently has some ability to keep track of use. The body has a menu item that shows battery wear.

- Batteries are $99, it comes with no charger. and the two bay charger is $150.

- Maximum charge rate, in camera or charger, requires a PD USB C source that can deliver 9v @ 3A. 5V works, but more slowly. A wall wart is supplied, vehicle "lighter socket" adapters are cheap, and my Li-ion emergency starter has such a power outlet.

Neutral:

- The grip is slightly different. This makes no difference at all to me, but may be life or death for AG. 😁  Based on reviews, I'm betting he likes the OM-1 better.

- The on-off switch is still in the wrong f**king place.

Missed items guaranteed, errors not unlikely.

Itemized Moose