Re: [OM] Space Time Anomaly

Subject: Re: [OM] Space Time Anomaly
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 20:19:14 -0700
On 4/10/2022 9:48 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
I like all four, Moose!

I definitely have one favorite,

The reflection?

but the bokeh effect on the sax player is bonkers good.

Thank You! Really, 'cause it's all created in post.

It's all so long ago; I thought I didn't know why I had it @ f6.3, with slow shutter speed and lots of DoF. Ah . . . it was my original short zoom, the M.Z 12-50/3.5-6.3. Nice lens in many ways, but not so much for this.

The guy is really feeling his music, so his upper body and head are soft from movement @ 1/20 sec. And all the people behind him are nice and sharp - moving slowly and lots of DoF.

He's sharpened, and the background is Gaussian blurred. The blurred layer is masked with a gradient, so that the effect gets greater moving upward. With many photos, that's a good analog for background distance, and looks pretty natural. The floor tile shows that effect rather well.

The background has also had brightness and contrast adjusted down, giving that
soft color look.

Quite similar process on the little girl in the subway. Her mom in the background is almost tack sharp, and brightly colored, in the original.

Here's a very different example.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Bokeh/BlurGradient.htm>

And more, with less detail.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Bokeh/Pseudobokeh.htm>