[OM] Avalanches R Us

Subject: [OM] Avalanches R Us
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 14:43:51 -0800
For those following the news here in Alaska, I'm sure you've seen the
spectacular pictures of the avalanche that happened here this weekend.
All is well, it occurred in the subdivision on the other side of the
river from me. Around 2 miles as the crow flies from my house, but
straight up the valley across from me. As it was cooler down low that
morning, the sound refracted down and directed towards my house.

The crazy thing is that I almost rented one of the houses that is
literally inches from the slide, but didn't because I couldn't get my
employer-provided high-speed internet there. I hike all the time on a
couple trails right around there, but I haven't this winter because of
the avalanche potential. Instead, I've been doing all my hiking in the
valley floor.

The sound of it woke me up. It had an unusual characteristic and I
couldn't figure out what it was, but it lasted for a while. I expect
the slide to be fully melt somewhere mid-summer. That hillside
typically has snowboarding opportunities into July. They're estimating
the depth over the road somewhere around 60 feet.

The moose are a bit meaner than normal and a couple problem bears are
already out and about. It's going to be an interesting year.

AK Schnozz