[OM] Tools for resurrection

Subject: [OM] Tools for resurrection
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 13:19:29 -0700
Still wandering the dusty halls of my old photos.

Although the young woman is not unattractive, this one is about what can be done today with photos taken in the past to improve them beyond what was possible in the past.

My second day with a new Canon A650 IS, and first serious use. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Resurrection/ReprocA650.htm>
(The A650 is the same imaging components as a G9, with the G9's Raw output via
a firmware hack.)

Taken at ISO 400 on a 2007 vintage, 1/1.7" (7.44 x 5.58 mm) CCD sensor, it's a
serious test of DR and noise.

Originally shot in 2008, as late as 2015, I still couldn't get rid of the characteristic higher ISO 'clumps' of artifacts. Close observation showed that they are there from the start ,and revealed when noise is taken care of. They were an ongoing problem with this camera, and, to a lesser extent, with the G11 that succeeded it.

Still, they were as good or better than any of the competition, at the time.

As you can see, Topaz AI NR and improved PS tools  improve greatly on older
tools.

Processed Moose