[OM] IMG: Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek

Subject: [OM] IMG: Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 07:34:44 +0100
Friday a week ago, I had a few hours free in Copenhagen before I had to head to
the airport for my flight home. I decided to spend part of this time in one of
Denmark’s great art institutions, Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek. The founder of the
Carlsberg brewery, Carl Jacobsen, was an avid art collector and he set up the
original museum next to the brewery, on the outskirts of the centre of
Copenhagen, in 1882. In 1888 he donated his entire art collection to the Danish
state, and a new home for it was built right in the centre of the city, 5
minutes walk from City Hall and Tivoli—hence the name “Ny” (“new”) Carlsberg
Glyptotek. It opened in 1897. The original building is still the main building,
but several additions have been built over the years.

The collection of the museum ranges from Egyptian, Greek and Roman antiquities
to modern art, with a heavy emphasis on French art, including sculpture by
Rodin, Impressionist paintings etc. But I went there to see two special
exhibitions, one of works by French painter Suzanne Valadon (1865-1938) who had
considerable commercial success during her lifetime but had been somewhat
neglected in recent decades, something that this exhibition was designed to
rectify, and it does so very successfully. The other exhibition was by Danish
sculptor Anne-Marie Carl Nielsen (1863-1945), wife of composer Carl Nielsen but
a great artist in her own right. She too was successful during her life, and
several works by her are part of the urban landscapes of Denmark, including the
statue of King Christian IX on horseback on the square behind Christiansborg,
home of Denmark’s parliament.

So I invite you to look at some magnificent art in a magnificent location:
https://www.greatpix.eu/Visit-to-Ny-Carlsberg-Glyptotek/

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman