Re: [OM] Zuiko 1.8 50mm lenses - again

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 1.8 50mm lenses - again
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 15:01:59 -0700
At 1/23/2022 02:50 PM, Moose wrote:

>On 1/23/2022 1:13 PM, John Hermanson wrote:
>>Sometimes it's just some oily in the rear coupling rings.
>
>What the Master says. ð??? First thing with any OM lens with aperture trouble
>is to take off the mount and see that all is well with the rings and spring.
>
>>Other times, oil
>>has migrated out of the focus grease into the blade area.  Yes, it can be
>>fixed.
>
>>On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 4:11 PM Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>>An old message about the 50mm 1.8 aperture being sticky. I now have a 50mm
>>>1.8 in the 5,600,000 range and it has sticky blades. Is this serviceable? I
>>>have other 50's that are fine.
>>>
>>>A thread from 9/1/2011 Moose mentions helical grease on some versions
>>>being the problem.
>
>Same thing John refers to above. Grease breaks down, releasing oil component,
>which slithers along surfaces and ends up on the aperture blades.
>
>>>I guess it was not necessarily fixed with later SNs.
>
>As I recall, it didn't happen before the MC designated ones, was common with
>those, then mostly disappeared early in the MiJ series. I did have one early
>MiJ with slow blades, but nothing later. I think our assumption was that
>grease was changed, Oly didn't become aware of the problem for some time, as
>it takes a while to show up, then corrected it.
>
>Open Moose

Thanks Moose and John.

I had an older 50 with sticky blades and took the mount off. It was the
coupling rings. So I did the same with the later version 50mm and was also the
same thing. I could see the grease on/between the coupling rings. I used a bit
of 90+% isopropyl alcohol on the rings, dried them and put them back and that
seems to have fixed the issue.

WayneS