Re: [OM] Telephoto (was: Rare Oly Lens)

Subject: Re: [OM] Telephoto (was: Rare Oly Lens)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 13:36:48 -0800
I understand lenses like this as promotional - "Look what WE can build!"

As photographic tools, even if I were some huge, muscly, comic book marvel, I
don't get it.

I've done photography with a fair number of really long lenses from 1100mm mirror lens to 100-400 mm zoom plus 1.4x TC, 1120mm eq.

Two lessons stand out:

It varies with weather and angle from horizontal, but atmospheric movement trumps optics, often even at surprisingly modest distances.

DoF is very shallow. F8 is often problematic with even mildly 3D subjects.
F2.8-f4 must be really difficult.

Know Your Limits Moose