[OM] Nathan's PAD 6/11/2021: a rainy evening in Copenhagen

Subject: [OM] Nathan's PAD 6/11/2021: a rainy evening in Copenhagen
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 21:50:20 +0100
I have been somewhat silent the past week, because I have been in Denmark, one
of my two annual visits to visit my parents’ graves and spend time with my
friends and just breathe the air and hear the language of the country I love
more than any other place in the world. But Denmark in November is not a place
you visit for the nice weather. On Saturday night I went out for drinks and
dinner with my friend Beata, and of course we ended up in Nyhavn,  Copenhagen’s
main bar drag. It was cold and rainy but the lights were still beautiful and
the beer was good. Three images.

The end of Nyhavn near Kongens Nytorv, with a memorial to the merchant marine
seamen who perished at sea during World War II:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-rxzfxfH/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-rxzfxfH/A>

The business part of Nyhavn, unusually empty because of the weather (but the
bars were full):
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-cCtS2fW/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-cCtS2fW/A>

There were several booths selling Glühwein since Christmas is approaching. We
stopped for a sample at this booth, and all four vendors were Argentine. Beata
is married to an Argentine guy, and I live in Spain, so we had a nice
conversation in Spanish:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-h3rWNkq/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-h3rWNkq/A>

In general, because of the extremely low unemployment in Denmark, many bars
simply cannot find Danish employees, and it is not uncommon to find a bartender
who does not speak Danish. Bars and restaurants in Copenhagen are willing to
take on anybody, regardless of their language skills. I often walk into a bar
and find myself having to speak English to the bar staff.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx